How To Install A USB Outlet
USB outlets allow you to charge your USB-powered devices right in the wall without needing a charger. This Maine Home Services DIY electrical guide explains, in detail, how to install a USB outlet in your home or business.
Before we get started, however, please make sure you heed this warning:
If, for whatever reason, you’re uncomfortable working with electricity, then don’t attempt anything in this guide. Remember, electricity is dangerous. So, if you’re uncomfortable or inexperienced, then contact our team of electricians. We’d be more than happy to help install your USB outlet for you.
Okay, now that we’ve got the warning out of the way, let’s get started with the project!
Thee Necessary Tools And Supplies To Install A USB Outlet
Before you start installing your new outlets, you’ll need to assemble the following tools and supplies:
- A USB outlet
- USB outlet wall cover and receptacle
- Wire cutters and a wire stripper
- A Philips and a flathead screwdriver
- Needle nose pliers
How To Install A USB Outlet Step-By-Step
Once you’ve assembled your tools and supplies, it’s time to get started installing your new outlet. However, before you start, we’ve got another warning to heed:
Attention: Before you start ANY electrical project, make sure you turn the power to the area off at the breaker box. Remember, electricity is dangerous. Don’t risk your own safety by attempting to work on a live circuit. If you’re unsure of how to turn off the power, then DO NOT try this project.
Okay, now that the second warning is out of the way, let’s get started installing your new USB outlet!
Part 1 – Remove The Existing Outlet
To remove your existing outlet, do the following:
- Remove the outlet cover using your flathead screwdriver
- Using your philips screwdriver, extract the screws at the top and bottom of the existing outlet
- Disconnect the five wires attached to the existing outlet using your philips screwdriver
- Straighten the ends of the detached wires using your needle nose pliers
- Dispose of the old outlet and receptacle
Part 2 – Install Your USB Outlet
Once you’ve finished removing the old outlet, it’s then time to install your new USB outlet. To install a USB outlet:
- Connect the five wires to their corresponding ports on the new outlet using your philips screwdriver
- Gently push the excess wire back into the wall
- Place the USB outlet in the outlet box
- Fasten it in place using your philips screwdriver
- Install the new wall cover using the included screws and your philips or flathead screwdriver
- Turn the power back on and test the outlet with a voltmeter
- If you have power, grab a USB-powered device, plug it in, and see if you get a charge.
Contact Maine Home Services For Help Installing A USB Outlet
Well, that’s it. That’s how you install a USB outlet in your home or business. However, if you want help, then don’t fret. The professional electricians here at Maine Home SErvices are always standing by to help you with your outlet needs. Contact us for help installing a USB outlet today!